What is the Envirothon?
Each year students from public and private schools are invited to participate in the Elk County Envirothon. The Envirothon is comprised of five subject areas or "ecosystem" areas including:
History of Envirothon:
A local Envirothon competition (then called the “Envirolympics”) was created in 1979 in the Fulton, Luzerne and Schuylkill Conservation Districts. Interest in the program expanded and, in 1984 the first state competition was organized at Shaver's Creek Environmental Center in Huntingdon County, with six teams competing. Currently, all 67 Counties in Pennsylvania are represented at the State Envirothon. Interest also spread outside of Pennsylvania and in 1988, a national competition (now known as the Canon Envirothon) was initiated. More than 45 U.S. states and nine Canadian provinces are now involved in the Envirothon at the North American level. Although the first Elk County Envirothon was not held until 2004, it has been a great success and continues to grow and gain interest every year.
The 2015 Envirothon will be held on May 13, 2015.
Past Elk County Envirothon Winners:
- 2015 St.Marys Area High School
2014 Johnsonburg Area High School
- 2013 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2012 Johnsonburg Area High School
- 2011 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2010 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2009 St. Marys Area High School
- 2008 Elk County Catholic High School
2007 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2006 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2005 St. Marys Area High School
- 2004 St. Marys Area High School
Past Elk County Junior High Envirothon Winners:
2015 Johnsonburg Area Jr. High School
2014 Elk County Catholic Jr. High School