What is the Envirothon?
Each year students from public and private schools are invited to participate in the Elk County Envirothon. The Envirothon is comprised of five subject areas or "ecosystem" areas including:
History of Envirothon:
A local Envirothon competition (then called the “Envirolympics”) was created in 1979 in the Fulton, Luzerne and Schuylkill Conservation Districts. Interest in the program expanded and, in 1984 the first state competition was organized at Shaver's Creek Environmental Center in Huntingdon County, with six teams competing. Currently, all 67 Counties in Pennsylvania are represented at the State Envirothon. Interest also spread outside of Pennsylvania and in 1988, a national competition (now known as the Canon Envirothon) was initiated. More than 45 U.S. states and nine Canadian provinces are now involved in the Envirothon at the North American level. Although the first Elk County Envirothon was not held until 2004, it has been a great success and continues to grow and gain interest every year.
The 2013 Envirothon will be held on May 8th at the St. Marys Sportmans Club
Past Elk County Envirothon Winners:
- 2012 Johnsonburg Area High School
- 2011 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2010 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2009 St. Marys Area High School
- 2008 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2007 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2006 Elk County Catholic High School
- 2005 St. Marys Area High School
- 2004 St. Marys Area High School