Les Haas Memorial Trail Challenge
- WHEN: The 3rd Annual Les Haas Memorial Trail Challenge will feature a 14k run, 7K run and 2 Mile Fun Walk. The event will be held on Saturday, September 20, 2014 and will begin at 9 A.M.
- WHERE: The event will be run on the Laurel Mill Trail in Allegheny National Forest, near the town of Ridgway, PA.
- DIRECTIONS: From Ridgway, follow Main Street/Laurel Mill Road west approximately 3.6 miles to the Laurel Mill trailhead and parking area. (GPS Coordinates: 41° 26’ 26.4” North and 78° 47’ 18.9” West)
- COURSE: Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are no longer able to offer the 16K and 5K distances. The Laurel Mill Trail was designed specifically for XC skiing and hiking. The rolling and looping forest trail offers a surface covered in grasses, ferns, rocks, dirt, gravel, sticks and windfall branches. The course has approximately 400-feet of elevation gain/loss. Watch out for the bears, snakes and skunks! The course will be well marked and volunteers will be available at trail intersections to assist you.
Click Here For Course Maps
- AGE GROUPS: Male and Female Divisions – 14 & Under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60 & Over
- AWARDS: First overall male and female in each of the 14k and 7K runs. Awards to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place male and female in the 14k run and 7K run age groups. The 2 mile walk is a “fun walk” and is non-competitive.
- SHIRTS: Each pre-registered participant will receive a race t-shirt (adult unisex sizing). Extra shirts will be given out as supplies last after the pre-registration deadline and on race day. Shirts are not guaranteed to anyone registering after the pre-registration deadline.
- FACILITIES: Rest rooms (port-a-potty and pit toilets) will be available at the trailhead. Water will be provided at a few locations along the trail.
- REFRESHMENTS: Post-race snacks and beverages will be provided.
- INFORMATION: Phone: (814) 776-5373 or Email Steve Putt at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for Race Registration Form
2013 Race Sponsors:
- Rebco, Inc.
- Northwest Savings Bank
- CNB Bank
- Country Squirrel Outfitters
- Marlowe Haas
- Jan Haas
- Giant Eagle
- Allegheny National Forest
- Dave’s Pro Shop
- Road ID
- Marion Jones
- Elk County Simmentals
- Gerg Insurance Agencies
- Teva Footwear
2013 Race Results:
||St. Marys, PA
||Port Matilda, PA
2012 Race Results:
||St. Marys, PA
||St. Marys, PA
2012 Race Photos:
About Les Haas:
Les was a US Army veteran and served as a Waterways Conservation Officer with the PA Fish & Boat Commission for 20 years. He also served on the Board of Directors of the Elk County Conservation District for 8 years. Les was an avid outdoorsman and was a member of the NRA, PA Federation of Sportsmen, St. Marys Sportsmens Club, B.A.S.S., Buckmaster Whitetail Deer Hunting Association, National Trappers Association and Christian Sportsman Fellowship. Les devoted his life to conservation efforts and was actively involved in many Conservation District activities, including the annual Elk County Envirothon. Les passed unexpectedly on February 24, 2012. In Les’s honor, proceeds from this event will be used for environmental education efforts within Elk County.