Elk County Community Recycling Center


850 Washington Street
St. Marys, PA  15857
(814) 834-4886


Monday:        10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Wednesday:   12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Friday:          10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Available for review: Elk County Municipal Solid Waste Management Plan

NEW IN 2012:  Now Accepting  Hard / Soft Cover Books &  Used Cooking Oil

Now accepting #1 PET Thermoform containers (Clear only)                CLICK HERE for information.

BUSINESSES:  We Can Now Take Your #5 Flex Bags / Bulk Packs -- Cardboard -- Paper
Click HERE for information and printable forms


  • #1 Plastic Bottles, #2 Plastic Bottles, #5 Plastic Containers
  • Corrugated Cardboard, Paper Board, Newspapers (with inserts), Magazines, Catalogs, Hard & Soft Cover Books, Office Paper, Envelopes, Junk Mail, Shredded Paper (bagged separately)
    Bi-Metal Cans and Aluminum Cans
    Used Motor Oil (No Mixes) --- Used Cooking Oil (No Solids)


Click HERE for information regarding additional drop-off locations.


Illegal Dumping Reminder

The community recycling center is open to all residents three days a week. We ask that you not leave recyclables outside the door when the center is closed. This is considered illegal dumping and if the weather is bad, any paper products that get wet will have to be thrown away.

Additionally please do not leave electronics at either the community recycling center or the electronics recycling center. Electronics are collected the third Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. and they also can be dropped of at the community recycling center during regular business hours.

If you have any questions, please contact the recycling office.

Information regarding curbside recycling programs can be found HERE.

Educational Materials/Programs

Detailed information on all of our programs is available through the recycling office. The recycling coordinator is also available to  present programs to schools, service groups, scout groups and other organizations.

Contact the recycling office at (814) 776-5373 for more information.

Click HERE for Public Information.

Demolition Waste

The Elk County Municipal Waste Management Ordinance requires a permit for the demolition of any residential or seasonal dwelling regardless of size, and for any non-residential structure in excess of 500 square feet.

The county’s demolition permit is available through the recycling office. Municipalities may also have them on hand.

The permit must be obtained prior to demolition.

When the recycling/solid waste office receives the permit application, the solid waste enforcement officer will contact the property owner/contractor to set a day and time to meet at the site for an initial inspection. At this time the enforcement officer will either approve or disapprove the permit based on his findings.

The ordinance also requires the property owner provide the recycling office proof of proper disposal of the demolition waste. A typical example of proof of proper disposal is landfill weigh slips. The recycling office must receive these within five business days of project completion.

Cost for the permit is $25 for residential, out buildings, camps and cabins. Permit fee for commercial and industrial structures is $150.

Click HERE to apply for a permit to demolish and remove demolition waste.

Demolition permit instructions.

Demolition waste management guidelines.