Helpful Links

The following are links to various websites that provide information and may be helpful to any person paying or receiving support. The websites also contain information on a variety of state and local programs offered for families. Please take time to review some of these links and the services presented through each website. Thank you.

Federal Agencies

  1. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children & Families. This website offers a wide variety of services and information, ranging from tips for parents for positive youth development to statistical data. There is a great deal of information available here.

  2. The Fatherhood Initiative. This website is maintained by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and it contains information on promoting responsible fatherhood. The website contains tips on effective parenting, economic stability, access, visitation, paternity, and child support. There is also a link to the Child Support Enforcement Handbook.

  3. Children’s Bureau. This agency is a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children & Families. It seeks to provide for the safety, permanency, and well being of children through leadership, support for necessary services, and productive partnerships with States, Tribes, and communities.

  4. Child Welfare Information Gateway. This website is provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children & Families. It is yet another valuable resource for information about such topics as achieving and maintaining permanency, and preventing child abuse and neglect. The site also provides free subscriptions to a number of electronic publications.

  5. USDA Food and Nutrition Service, Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). The site below provides information about WIC and how to apply. WIC provides free food for young children and expectant mothers.

State Agencies / Organizations

  1. Governor’s Commission for Children and Families. The purpose of this site is to provide helpful information, website links, and resource networks for families on accessing health and human services, advocacy resources, and parent guides.

  2. Pennsylvania Child Support Program. This website, maintained by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, provides information on your child support obligation. You can check your account and access forms.

  3. Pennsylvania Council of Children, Youth and Family Services. The Pennsylvania Council of Children, Youth and Family Services is a statewide organization of private agencies. Its members are the service providers who provide the direct "hands-on" programs and supports needed to achieve and maintain permanency and safety for children and youth and stability for families.

  4. Family Services of Western Pennsylvania. This organization offers cost-effective programs, services, and activities for children, adults, and families in Western Pennsylvania region.

  5. Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This program helps low-income families pay their heating bills. LIHEAP is a grant that offers assistance in the form of a cash grant, sent directly to the utility company, or a crisis grant for households in immediate danger of being without heat. See website for application details.

(Return to top of page)

Local Agencies / Organizations

  1. Child Care Information Services (CCIS) agencies are the hub of child care information in your local area. CCIS agencies provide you and your family with information on quality child care and personalized child care referrals to child care providers based on your specific needs or preferences. CCIS agencies also administer the Child Care Works subsidized child care program. For all of your child care questions and needs, contact the CCIS agency for your local area or call the Child Care Works Helpline at 1-877-4-PA-KIDS.

    Elk & Cameron County CCIS
    135 West 4th Street, P.O. Box 389, Emporium, PA 15834-0389
    Phone: 814-486-1974
    Toll Free: 1-800-638-4670
    Fax: 814-486-0825
  2. Elk County Citizens Against Physical, Sexual and Emotional Abuse, Inc. (CAPSEA). Organization committed to confidential ongoing service to all victims of physical, sexual and emotional abuse in Elk and Cameron Counties.
    Elk County Phone Numbers:
    Hotline: 1-814-772-1227
    Toll Free: 1-800-226-4759
    Cameron County Phone Numbers:
    Hotline: 1-814-486-0952
  3. Pennsylvania CareerLink of Elk County. This agency helps individuals find their desired job as well as help employers find qualified applicants for their business needs.
    239 Depot St., Saint Marys, PA 15857
    Phone: 814-834-2857

  4. Elk County Housing Authority. Contact this agency if you are in need of housing.
    424 Water Street Extension, Johnsonburg, PA 15845-1547
    Phone: 1-814-965-2532
    Fax: 1-814-965-5616

  5. Elk County Human Services. This page contains contact information for a variety of human services, including alcohol and drug abuse services, the Elk County Public Assistance Office, and the Salvation Army.
    [click here for human services]

  6. Food Banks. The website list the location and distribution areas and schedules for food banks in Elk and Cameron Counties.

  7. Elk County Children and Youth Services. This county agency provides social services to children and their families from birth to 18 years of age.
    [click here to visit the Children and Youth page]

  8. ATA. This website has information for low fare bus routes in Elk, Cameron, McKean, Clearfield, Jefferson, Potter and Clarion Counties.

  9. SCAN / PEP Early Intervention. This is a resource for children under the age of three with developmental delays and those who are at risk of developing delays. Services are provided in Cameron, Clarion, Elk, McKean, Potter, and Warren Counties.
    Elk & Cameron Counties: 1-814-772-8111
    McKean County: 1-814-887-9287
    Potter County: 1-814-544-7315
    Warren County: 1-814-726-2100
    Clarion County: 1-814-226-4122

  10. RAPPORT. Free in-home or in school visits are available to all parents, including teen parents, first time parents, expectant parents or parents who have children under age one. RAPPORT helps parents to get ready for labor and delivery, understand developmental needs of children, do activities that encourage learning, encourage a child’s appreciation of books, and understand how children learn through play. Services provided in Camron, Elk, McKean, Potter, Clearfield, and Jefferson Counties.
    Elk & Cameron Counties: 1-814-834-1645
    Clearfield & Jefferson Counties: 1-814-371-0613 or toll free at 1-877-776-1636
    McKean County: 1-814-837-5148 (Kane), or 1-814-362-1834 (Bradford)
    Potter County: 1-814-274-7011

  11. Big Brothers, Big Sisters. Big Brothers Big Sisters is a program of matching friends -- one adult with one child -- who needs stability and companionship. Through such a relationship, the child is able to develop a heightened sense of self-worth and both child and adult experience satisfaction. Matches spend a minimum of 4 hours a month together and participate in activities that they already enjoy doing. Children ages 5 and up in Jefferson, Elk, and McKean Counties are eligible.
    McKean County: 1-814-362-1834
    Elk & Jefferson Counties: 1-814-371-0613, or toll free 1-877-776-1636

More in this category: Payment Options »


Elk County Courthouse
250 Main Street
P.O. Box 448
Ridgway, PA 15853

Elk County Courthouse Annex
300 Center Street
P.O. Box 448
Ridgway, PA 15853