Monday, 07 March 2022 18:32

Information on the Pennsylvania REAL-ID

Beginning May 7, 2025, Pennsylvanians will need a REAL-ID compliant driver’s license, photo ID card, or another form of federally-acceptable identification (such as a valid passport or military ID) to board a domestic commercial flight or enter a federal building or military installation that requires ID.

Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about obtaining your Pennsylvania Real ID can be found at the following website:  Once there, scroll down to Prepare For Real ID and then Gather Your Documents

At the Elk County Courthouse, we can help you with the “Proof of all legal name changes” documents.

The Elk County Recorder of Deeds, Register of Wills and Clerk of the Orphans’ Court office can assist you if your name changed as a result of marriage. 

If your marriage license was applied for in Elk County and the proof of marriage was returned to us following your ceremony, we can issue a certified copy of your marriage license that can be used in the Real-ID application process.  If you’ve been married multiple times, you will need copies of each marriage certificate.  Each duplicate marriage license certificate is $5.00.  You can call and request your certified copy ahead of time, and just stop in to pick it up.  You can reach us at (814) 776-5349.   If you would like the certified copy mailed to you, it is an additional $0.50 to cover postage so your total for each mailed certificate is $5.50.  You can make checks payable to the Elk County Clerk of the Orphans’ Court.  The Register & Recorders office accepts cash, checks, or money orders.

If your marriage license was applied for in another County in Pennsylvania, that County will have the proof of your marriage and you’ll need to work directly with them to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate(s).

If you changed your name as a result of a divorce (e.g., returned to your maiden name), the Elk County Prothonotary/Clerk of Courts office can assist you if you require a certified copy of a divorce decree.  You can call in advance to confirm that your decree is filed in Elk County (814) 776-5344.  Certified copies of divorce decrees are $10.50.  The Prothonotary’s office accepts cash, checks, or money orders.

If you are in need of an official duplicate birth certificate, please view the following Pennsylvania's Division of Vital Records website -  - where you can discover how to order your certificate online, by telephone, or in person.

Read 2713 times Last modified on Tuesday, 06 December 2022 15:13


Elk County Courthouse
250 Main Street
P.O. Box 448
Ridgway, PA 15853

Elk County Courthouse Annex
300 Center Street
P.O. Box 448
Ridgway, PA 15853